Timber Extraction, Forestry, conservation and sensitive land management
Richard is a professional horse logger and has been using horses in forestry for 20 years. He offers a full range of timber extraction services using heavy horses – from coppice to large oak butts and including softwood extraction.
Using horses rather than machines offers a wide range of advantages including –
- Lower carbon footprint – horses are effectively carbon neutral
- Lower cost in getting horses to site
- Horses can get to places where machines cannot, especially in wet ground and conditions
- Minimal disturbance of flora and fauna
- Horses are lighter than most machines and cause no ground compaction
- More selective thinning is possible – resulting in more subtle and effective long-term woodland management
- Especially good for conservation work
- Much more efficient on short extraction work
- Can be combined with machinery. e.g. using a horse to drag logs to a ride where they can be collected or processed by machines
Swainsford Heavy Horses also undertake conservation work, from bracken bashing, grassland management (harrowing, rolling), wildflower hay meadows, scarification to encourage natural regeneration in woodland, stream and river bed harrowing.
We are fully insured and NPTC Certified.
Please contact us for more information and to discuss your specific requirements.